Sunday, September 11, 2011

Using Google Spreadsheets

Numbers and more Numbers....

So on tap for today we are going to be talking about Google Spreadsheets. If you have ever used Excel, this is really quite similar. Like all other google 2.0 forums, these spreadsheets are easy to share from one person to the next, as well as allowing mutliple users to access and edit the information all at one time. I'm going to be honest and say that this project was actually somewhat difficult for me, and if it wasn't for the amazing help of Krysta, I don't think it would be completed. So that said, here is exactly what i did for this homework assignment.


What you are viewing are as follows.

First I put all of the raw data into the first sheet. I then sorted out the information to just include Tests 6-10. I calculated the average scores, as and finally filtered out all students who were below the class average. I finally graphed my data.

Honestly, I am entirely unsure how to analyze this information. I am by no means a math or data person, and I really didn't enjoy doing this project. The chart was very difficult for me to graph, and if it wasn't for Krysta (smartest girl ever!) I probably would not have even completed this. I'm not even sure if the data on the graph is correct. I will never use google sheets to graph my test scores, as I really don't see the value in tests to begin with. Realistically, in my Language Arts classroom, the majority of my tests will be done in essay format, and students will also be graded on class participation, and group projects. I also know that there are grading programs provided through the school, and that these programs can graph the information for you with only one click.

As indicated by the graph, most students experienced at least a modum of growth. However, Katherine seems to be the exception to this rule, as her scores go both up and down. It's good to see that the majority of students improve in their test scores as the tests continue, and seeing who does not improve may help create individualized plans for the student. However, I also feel that one would be able to see this same information by looking at the data without graphing it. It may be that this particular graph does not speak to me, and if in another form (bar graph for example) I would understand how to intrepret this information better.

Here is the link to the dataa, if you are interested in viewing it in another format. https://docs.google.com/a/willamette.edu/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0Ahu6--SA9cF2dDEzeHRGTHhuV2x2eU5GR2Y0eWROVlE&output=html

2 comments:

  1. Yes, leaning on Krysta was wise.
    Prior to signing off on this, please carefully re-read the instructions relating to analyzing the results, and include your reflection/observations.

    Regarding your thoughts on spreadsheeting:
    During your practicum and student teaching you will be collecting a ton of data (NOT necessarily test scores). Could be observations of 'students on task', tally on boys vs girls for feedback, etc.
    Within your planning and assessment the same data collecting and analyzing will occur, as will a significant component of both your Work Samples.
    So much of what is being required in education deals with measurement and data manipulation. One may not agree with this, but the reality is there nevertheless. I'm banking on the fact that having this basic skill set to organize and manipulate data, and draw conclusions from your presentation will become an asset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly don't disagree that gathering information and assessing it is important, however the issue I have is in standardized testing itself, which is a discussion in and of itself. Also, I believe that there are many other ways to analyze information than through google sheets, perhaps forums that are more user friendly (in my opinion) than this one. I personally did not find the graph to be useful in analyzing the information, and in fact found it to be more confusing at this point. I do not feel that this assignment taught me to organize and manipulate data, or draw conclusions. These are skills that were developed in other classes, ranging from statistics, basic mathematics, rhetoric, and social studies. I'm actually quite offended by the statement "that having this basic skill set to organize and manipulate data, and draw conclusions from your presentation will become an asset." I am quite capable of organizing, manipulating, and drawing conclusions from a set of data. Furthermore, if I was unable to fulfill these tasks, in no way would this assignment teach me how to draw conclusions from this set of data. This is a skill that should have already been built, and now be put into application while looking at the information provided for manipulation. While I now realize that I should have elaborated more to fulfill the requirements of the assignment, I am offended that the inferment was that I therefore did not contain these skills.
    Perhaps this is just my opinion, but I approach this class with the goal of learning how to use technology in the classroom, as well as the many different types of technolgy that are out there and available for students and teachers to use and interact. I feel that this assignment was specifically about learning how to use google sheets, which was effective. Having completed this project, I know now how to use this, and know that I will chose not to use it in the future.

    ReplyDelete